Tuesday 11 March 2014

Harrods and heartache

The Jehovah family was on good form today. They are off to Harrods for haircuts. Apparently the girl wants to have a shampoo with crushed diamond in it. 

Harrods really is a tacky theme park extravaganza. They have over a hundred Harrods points to spend which means they have spent several thousand pounds in store at the very least. 

I am really curious about the nature of their father's business. They seem to have a lot of funds going through foreign bank accounts. 

What is interesting is how quickly the family has let down their guard in terms of their behaviour. I suppose it gets to a point where you can't hide everything that happens from people like teachers, cleaners and nannies who come into your home. I see the mother terribly upset sometimes, although today I had the privilege to see their very sick child, who suffers from a genetic disorder, lift her own cup and drink by herself. This was the first time she had done this. It was very moving to see. 

It reminds me that I must not dismiss these families out of hand. For all their money, they are not protected from the heartache that life shovels out from time to time.