Wednesday 5 February 2014

A few positives...

Ok, I know the last few posts may have painted a somewhat negative picture of tutorial agencies and the business generally, so here are a few positives just to play devil's advocate. 

There is perhaps something to be said for parents from low income backgrounds who have saved and taken time to invest in a few extra sessions for their kid. I have taught a few of these students over the years and while they represent a minority of those I have tutored, they have certainly benefited from one-to-one guidance. No matter how gifted the teacher, you can do a lot more specific and student-centred learning when it is just one or two kids. 
I have also found these students to be among the best motivated and they understand the value of education. 

As someone whose politics is left of centre, there is perhaps a positive in exposing the students to views they perhaps don't normally get to hear. I recently had a student who was looking at countries recovering from war and I laid into oil companies who went straight into Iraq, only to find out that the student's daddy was a lawyer for the said oil firm and was often on little jaunts to Iraq. However, the downside is that I suddenly realised where my salary was coming from. Ok, so not so positive. At least the student has no desire to do law and I think I've convinced them to do something useless like art history or classical art instead. 

Students who engage with learning are fun to teach. It is exciting to watch anyone begin to take an interest in a new subject and question the world around them. 

That is really all there is to say. The negatives would take much longer to discuss.